 Technic / 5317
Re: Technic Parallel-Motor Assembly Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:21:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gaurav Thakur writes:
Perhaps one motor at each end of an axel. That would make three or
four pairs with less gears.

Something like this:
[extremle quick and dirty pic to show what I mean]

That's a nice idea; so basically you should connect the motors first and
then speed the geardtrain down? I decided to speed each one down
independently but this system seems like it would produce less friction and
would also require fewer gears.

Yes I forgot about that - I did this in my (here we go again) tower crane
(www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/towercrane/) except I put bevel gears on each
motor, both meshing with another bevel gear in the middle. Used it on the
platform rotation (with old motors) and the boom lift (with new ones).

I do have a few of the older ones, but they are less efficient, power wise,
because of the friction losses when using technic style gears at higher
rpm.

That's interesting...I didn't know that the old motors chew up more power. I
would have used the newer ones but I only have 4 of those (all of which I'm
planning to use in other areas on this project) whereas I have 12 of the old
ones. The old ones don't really seem to be of much use unless they are
geared down several times...

One way to reduce friction is to use the old gear reduction blocks from 872 (if
you can get your hands on them!) These reduce the revs significantly with
minimal friction.

ROSCO