 Technic / 5312
Re: Technic Parallel-Motor Assembly Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:04:33 GMT

Thanks for the replies! I think I now have some ideas of how this can done...

I understand totally! The problem you've got is reducing friction. The
un-geared motors are worse, because your speed reduction train will inevitably
have much more friction than the reduction box Lego put in the geared motors. I
ended up also lubricating the reduction train (with margarine!). Connecting so
many together will also introduce a lot more friction, as you'll need a fairly
large number of gears to do it.

I thought that it might be something with the way the gears are arranged but
could not really find a way around it...adding in some sort of lubricant
seems like a good idea; I need to try that and see if helps any.

I found that 2 motors from 1 battery box did increase torque, though not by
heaps. But there's nothing stopping you connecting multiple battery boxes in
parallel too - just gotta be careful you always switch them on & off together!

That's an interesting idea! I could probably do that using multiple polarity
switches... (although these are somewhat hard to come by)

Six to eight! you really are raving mad! :-)

LOL! What would you expect from a raving madman? :-D Actually this model
will probably end up becoming quite large and heavy when completed, so
providing power to all eight wheels will need several motors if it is at all
possible. If this system doesn't work I'm thinking of trying a simulated
electric-traction drive system. (basically removing the center differentials
and connect two motors to each axle, or maybe getting rid of the
differentials altogether and having one motor per wheel)

Perhaps one motor at each end of an axel. That would make three or
four pairs with less gears.

Something like this:
[extremle quick and dirty pic to show what I mean]

That's a nice idea; so basically you should connect the motors first and
then speed the geardtrain down? I decided to speed each one down
independently but this system seems like it would produce less friction and
would also require fewer gears.

Be sure to connect all the wires correctly so that they actually work
with each other and not against ,)

Hehe I had this problem several times in my tests. (for a second I was
wondering why one motor could perform quite well while two motors would not
move at all ;-) )

Was that with the old or new 9V motor (ungeard and geared)? The old
one that Gaurav want's to use draws more then twice the Amp, if I
remember it correctly.

Sorry, that was with the newer geared motors.

I do have a few of the older ones, but they are less efficient, power wise,
because of the friction losses when using technic style gears at higher
rpm.

That's interesting...I didn't know that the old motors chew up more power. I
would have used the newer ones but I only have 4 of those (all of which I'm
planning to use in other areas on this project) whereas I have 12 of the old
ones. The old ones don't really seem to be of much use unless they are
geared down several times...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.terrashare.com/TC/