 Technic / 5294
5293  |  5295
Subject:
Technic Parallel-Motor Assembly Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:20:14 GMT

Hi everyone...I am working on a Technic project (MOC) and have run into a
bit of a problem. I basically need to use several motors running in parallel
to provide lots of power to a single gear-train and am planning on using six
to eight of the old 9V non-geared motors to do this. (I would use the newer
ones with built-in gear reduction but I don't have as many of those) This
system is supposed to power up the drive axles on a Technic vehicle, so they
will also be geared down several times.

(sorry if this is confusing; I would have taken pictures of what I'm trying
to accomplish here but my camera isn't that great)

I ran a few basic experiments with this system and found that two motors
working together did not produce any noticeable increase in torque over a
single motor geared down to the same speed. I am probably doing something
wrong here since I have heard of Technic models which use multiple motors
effectively, so is there a certain way that the motors need to be connected
together or something?

Another thing that crossed my mind was that the battery box might not be
able to provide enough power for all of those motors. (I had connected all
of them to the same box) Does running multiple motors simultaneously of a
single battery box result in a loss of speed and/or power? If not, how many
motors (in this case, the non-geared 9V type) can a standard Technic battery
box can power at the same time while still providing optimal motor output?
Also, if the limit is below 8 motors/box, would a Control Center unit
(loaded with 6 'C' batteries) be able to perform the task more effectively?

Thanks...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.terrashare.com/TC/