 Technic / 5293
5292  |  5294
Subject:
Technic Parallel-Motor Assembly Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:58:15 GMT

I'm working on a Technic project (MOC) and have run into a bit of a problem.
I need to create a system where several motors operate in parallel to
provide lots of torque to single geartrain. I'm planning to use six to eight
of the old non-geared 9V motors (I would use the newer geared ones but I
don't have as many of those) working together to power the drive axle on a
vehicle.

(sorry if this is confusing; I would have taken some pictures of what I'm
trying to do here but my camera isn't too great)

I tried running some basic experiments with two motors and they actually
seemed to providing no more power than a single motor geared down to the
same speed. I am probably doing something wrong here since I have heard of
models where two or more motors work together to provide extra power; is
there a certain way that the motors need to be connected together in orded
to ensure maximum power output?

Another thing I had in mind was that maybe the battery box was not able to
supply enough power for all of the motors simulatenously. (I had connected
one box to all of them) Does anyone know how many motors (in this case, the
1990-1996 non-geared 9V type) can be powered from one standard Technic
battery box without a loss of speed or torque in the motor axles? If there
is a noticeable loss of power with a battery box, would a Control Center
unit (with 6 'C' batteries) be able to do the job?

Thanks...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.terrashare.com/TC/