 Technic / 3185
Re: Any musical instrument?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:18:12 GMT

Hmmm. I imagine a piano action wouldn't be out of the question, either. The
main problem I can see is with the strings - if you're looking at 4 octaves,
thats 48 fairly tight strings, which is going to put a fair bit of strain on
whatever base you attach them to. I guess one way around it would be to have
all the strings attached at one end, go around a wheel (or similar) at the
other end, and back along underneath the base. At least then you don't have to
worry so much about bending. Of course, it doubles the force on the mounting
points at each end...

ROSCO

In lugnet.technic, Henry Lim writes:
Myself being a keyboardist, I've been seriously considering making a single
manual harpsichord (with the strings non-LEGO, of course).  I've worked out
workable mechanisms for the key action.  However, it'll take a while to
collect the parts for 4 octaves.  I'm still fine tuning designs for the
tuning pegs.

-Henry