 Technic / 1774
Re: Throwbots and Roboriders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:14:13 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Bradley Dale writes:
In lugnet.technic, Ray Kremer writes:
In lugnet.technic, Bradley Dale writes:
I do not have any of these sets, but I was thinking of buying one.  They are
not that expensive (unless you look at the piece count- yikes!), and seem • very
fun to play with.  If I get a Throwbot, I will probably get Amazon or • Granite,
if a Roborider, Swamp or Dust.  I need to ask-
1. Which is better, TB or RR?
2. Are alternate models possible with these sets?
3. How far do the disks go?

I've got all of both lines, mostly because I'm a sucker for little robots.
The RoboRiders are easier to play around with, since they are on wheels you
just roll them around instead of worrying about posing them and stuff.

One point for Roboriders!

But in the end they are pretty much all the same, they only vary by the color
scheme and what kind of sharp object they carry.  The Throwbots allow for more
variety, most of them actually LOOK like they belong in a specific
environment.

One point for Throwbots!

And most of the Throwbots kinda-sorta transform into "vehicle" modes, all the
Riders can do is adjust the height of their rear wheels.

Two points for Throwbots!

But from a construction standpoint, the RoboRiders are a bit more creative. • It
was a joy to see the unique way they are each put together.  The Bots are
constructed mostly the same, only really differing by what's on their
non-throwing arm.

Two points for Robo Riders!

Not much by way of alternate models on the same scale as the originals, but
you get a good mix of pieces and I think some fancy stuff could be
accomplished by combining sets.  Both lines already have "gestalt" modes
pictured on posters that come with the sets, where you use pieces from several
sets to make a larger robot or motorbike. If you pull back and release the • disc
quickly, you can get them to pretty much fly across the room.  Aiming is
harder, and you can forget about knocking anything down.  The wheels also
depend on a quick pull back and release, and they too will roll across a room
before eventually veering off to the side and falling down.

Good and bad points for both, but still a tie!

Swamp and Dust are good choices, they are probably the best of the line.
Granite is lame, go with Amazon or Jet or Ski for a first set.  Have fun!

I chose them by colour and appearance.  But if you are a Throwbot expert and
you say Granite is lame, I'll trust you.  I thought Amazon would look good
protecting the sun disk at the 5936 Spider's Secret.  I don't like Jet at all,
except for the fact that he's 42 pieces instead of 32 pieces like Granite.  I
just think Jet is ugly.  I do like Ski, he is one of my favourites too.  He
might make the Arctic scene more winter-like than just a bunch of big orange
vehicles wandering around.

One thing that is cool about the Throwbots line is that the non-throwing
limbs are cool for mecha building. Check out what I've done with them on my
website, Moonbase Io at http://moonbase-io.webjump.com/default.htm .

Todd Amacher