 Technic / 16387
16386  |  16388
Subject:
Worm gear... whence the length?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:01:53 GMT

OK, after struggling with precision in a lead-screw assembly for quite some time
now, I've just got to ask because I don't know the answer and it's bothering
me...

Can ANYBODY give me a possible good reason for the length of the worm gear? why
oh why couldn't LEGO have made it exactly 2 units long, instead of
1-point-almost-two-units long?!? That slight slop can really complicate things.

Yes, I know about pre-loading things, gearing down, etc. - I'm just wondering if
there is a fundamental mechanical reason why they couldn't have increased the
pitch very very slightly and extended the worm gear very very slightly. Wouldn't
that have worked?

--
Brian "looking for answers" Davis