 Robotics / 27517
Re: Worm gear... whence the length?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:02:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:

If you're struggling with worm gaps for your leadscrew, this pic of my crane
worm gearbox might help... I also found that 5 worms and a 14-tooth bevel
gear fits on a 12-stud axle with axle extenders at either end.

Thanks Mark - those are nice designs. In my case I needed the precision, but I
also needed a very compact implementation *and* it had to mount to an NXT motor:

I'm pretty happy with the design, but the slop really needed to be compensated
for in either "over-throwing" the position or by having the program adjust the
limits based on the current position as well as the goal position (I'm using it
to throw a very small sliding switch on the back of a camera):

Some of the old, discontinued parts provide odd measurements that
are very useful when we do precision engineering!

Agreed. But only if you have them :). I wish I could have used the 8t gear in
place of the half-bushings, but there wasn't enough clearance between the
mechanism and the camera body.

--
Brian Davis