 Robotics / 27521
Re: Worm gear... whence the length?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:01:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rafe Donahue wrote:

I see white wires.  Are those custom or did the black ones fade?

Neither. I actually purchased those from Mindsensors. They sell a thinner,
flexible cable with NXT-style plugs. For the HALE mission (what this payload is
aimed at - launch in 7 days or so), every gram counts, and I realized that at
least in this case, the lighter cables really would be a significant help...
both in weight management, and in threading all the various wires through the
structure without pushing or snagging anything. The 6-stranded wires you see
directly plugged into the NXT are Mindsensors, while the three-stranded ones are
both to custom temperature sensors (ICs, with a linear temperature response,
driven by the HiTechnic prototyping board)... those I ripped out of a defunct
stereo system and re-tasked to the purpose.

Did you know that a common toaster is just dandy for heat-shrinking tubing
around solder joins? My wife was looking at me funnier than usual that day...

--
Brian Davis