 Technic / 16234
Re: Digicomp II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:25:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Alexander Holroyd wrote:

...an all-LEGO implementation is still a remarkable
achievement.

Thank you. I had some comments from the students who built a K'nex computer a
while back, and one of the things he complemented me on was staying "pure" to
the medium I selected, and not to use heavier ball bearings etc. I guess purism
in that fashion crosses product lines :).

It would be great to see a version of Dr Nim too.

Yep, I should do this - it shouldn't be difficult with conventional gates, and I
might be able to come up with the remarkable "inhibited gate" that is used in
one variation in the patent.

Then of course there is Digi-Comp I...

Which actually seems more popular than DCII, even though it has fewer bits. I'm
not at all sure how to do this one out of LEGO however, and think it is less
clear how it is operating (to me, anyway).

Now if I can just come up with an addressable memory for my DCII analog, that
would be... interesting.

--
Brian Davis