 Technic / 16023
Re: How to make a perfect octagon or hexagon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:27:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Joe Strout wrote:

I'm trying to make a largish... octagon or hexagon out of
technic parts.

   Try approaching it in steps. Can you make an equilateral triangle out of
Technic beams? Don't worry about making the angles rigid, just make a structure
with three equal-length sides, connected near the corners (connected with
something that allows that angle to vary). When you connect the three sides
together, they will form 60° internal angles, because the three sides are equal
(not because you have a magic piece that provides that 60° angle).

   Now take six of those, and connect them edge to edge. You've got a hexagon.
An octagon wouldn't use equilateral triangles, but using the same technic you
could get close I suspect.

   Here's an example of some equilateral constructs (although I'd not use the
double, slightly stressed connections he does), and in another section
(geometry) they show constructed hexagons:

http://www.brickengineer.com/pages/category/constructs/

I believed that the bent technic beams... had a
135-degree angle, or at least some angle that would
divide evenly into 360.

   They do (sort of, some of them), but it might not be in the way you're using
them:

http://technic.lego.com/technicdesignschool/lesson.asp?x=x&id=1_c&page=3

   The internal angles on a 3-4-5 right triangle are 30, 60, and of course 90
degrees.

   A related question of which parts give you "easy" 120° changes in direction
has fewer answers. I only know of essentially three: Tribladed liftarms (as
Kevin mentioned, http://peeron.com/inv/parts/44374), tribladed plates
(http://peeron.com/inv/parts/32125, or better but rarer
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2712), and the very rare but handy "Technic bush
with 3 axles" http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x1781 (yeah, from just one set it
looks like, and a pricy one at that).

   The Technic angle connectors are in increments of 22.5 degrees, so they don't
hit the magic 60° marks either for a hexagon - but they should work for
constructing octagons.

--
Brian Davis