 Technic / 14670
Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:42:24 GMT

On 30/09/05, Benjamin Ventura <generaldisarray2005@yahoo.com> wrote:
In lugnet.technic, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

Most of the noise is coming from the 'crowd', the part that pushes the
bucket
back and forth.  It uses a bunch of 40, 24 and 8 tooth gears to do it's
thing:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1401966>

And they make a ton of noise, the gears.  The motors there do not have
built-in
gear reduction, so i had to build my own transmission.

Cool. Could you get less noise and a reduction in space using a worm
gear? I seem to remember them being less efficient, but they would
give good reduction, and should lower the noise considerably, although
they may require placing motors perpendicular to the output shafts.

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots

I probably could reduce bulk and noise by using worm gears, but at the time I
built that part of the machine I only owned two worms and I needed them in
other
places.  The 'crowd' has two motors and transmissions and I had already used
one
worm gear in the bucket's jaw..

However, I really like the noise.  The machine is big, and the transmission
chattering helps give it an even "larger than life" feel.  The hoist is even
better, it has four high-speed motors and transmissions inside of the house
(the
red and white body part).  Having all those motors and gears inside of a big
hollow space makes a really cool, deep noise that echos around inside and
sounds
great.  But you can't hear that sound in the video, the upgraded hoist is new
and was in a different configuration at the time of the video's filming.

On a different subject I have been starting a new project, a drilling rig. I
want to make something like this:

<<http://www.bucyrus.com/drills-49.jpg>>

or an offshore oil drilling platform.

I really enjoy building models that are functional, so I want to make one that
can actually put holes in the ground and lay pipe.  I have built a prototype
drilling attachment that I think will work, I will post pictures ASAP.

-Ben

Ah - understandable. I actually stocked up on them from bricklink, as
I so often found them useful. I admit - I tend to agree with you on
the noise making it "larger than life". Any chance of videos of the
upgraded hoist then?

One other thing - how are you controlling it? I see the huge battery
and counterweights, but what have you got at the other end of that
bundle of control cables?

I am looking forward to the drilling rig - laying pipe as well means
you might even build a small functional Lego TBM - cool.

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots