 Technic / 14665
Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:46:39 GMT

On 30/09/05, Benjamin Ventura <generaldisarray2005@yahoo.com> wrote:
In lugnet.technic, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

Works fine for me here too. It is impressive, but it is also one of
the noisiest things I have seen in a while. One or two of those motors
sound like they are a little stretched.

Maybe it is encoded with a newer codec?
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots

Most of the noise is coming from the 'crowd', the part that pushes the bucket
back and forth.  It uses a bunch of 40, 24 and 8 tooth gears to do it's thing:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1401966>

And they make a ton of noise, the gears.  The motors there do not have
built-in
gear reduction, so i had to build my own transmission.

Cool. Could you get less noise and a reduction in space using a worm
gear? I seem to remember them being less efficient, but they would
give good reduction, and should lower the noise considerably, although
they may require placing motors perpendicular to the output shafts.

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots