 Technic / 14654
  Video of Cable Shovel In Action

Hello, Video of my Mining Shovel has been posted to brickshelf: (URL) Make sure to watch the whole thing, the machine takes two passes at the pile. -Ben (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

I don't know what you're using there for the quicktime player but it came out all corrupted and blotchy here, and caused an error in my quicktime player causing it to shut down. What version of quicktime are you using there? (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) File corrupted here too Cristiano (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Works fine with QT6.5. Maybe you got a download problem? (I first downloaded the 40Mb file before playing it). Ben, this is a very impressive constuction, with fast and smooth movements. Congratulations! Philo (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Works fine for me here too. It is impressive, but it is also one of the noisiest things I have seen in a while. One or two of those motors sound like they are a little stretched. Maybe it is encoded with a newer codec? -- (URL) - Build Robots (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

If that's true I think some folder on brickshelf is missing about 35MB of file .... (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Download Problems With Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Hello, I'm not sure what was causing problems with viewing the movie for some of you.. It works a lot better for me if I download the movie, then view it. It did not work when I tried to view it in the browser window. Hope that helps, Ben (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Most of the noise is coming from the 'crowd', the part that pushes the bucket back and forth. It uses a bunch of 40, 24 and 8 tooth gears to do it's thing: (URL) And they make a ton of noise, the gears. The motors there do not have built-in (...) (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Download Problems With Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) That might explain why I had no difficulty - I *always* download first, then watch something, I am just too careful and would not like my browser being crashed by slightly awkward content.. Danny -- (URL) - Build Robots (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Cool. Could you get less noise and a reduction in space using a worm gear? I seem to remember them being less efficient, but they would give good reduction, and should lower the noise considerably, although they may require placing motors (...) (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) I probably could reduce bulk and noise by using worm gears, but at the time I built that part of the machine I only owned two worms and I needed them in other places. The 'crowd' has two motors and transmissions and I had already used one worm (...) (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Ah - understandable. I actually stocked up on them from bricklink, as I so often found them useful. I admit - I tend to agree with you on the noise making it "larger than life". Any chance of videos of the upgraded hoist then? One other thing (...) (19 years ago, 1-Oct-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Re: control, I am using switches and a project box that I purchased at radioshack. Unfortunately this does not allow for proportional control of machine functions, it is bang-bang. You can see the tethered remote in the first two pictures in (...) (19 years ago, 3-Oct-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Ah - now you have pointed it out I see it. I am not a Lego only evangelist, but there is scope for it to be replaced with some Pole Reverser switches and a Lego frame. I am wandering if an RCX could be used with it, to automate it for fun. I (...) (19 years ago, 4-Oct-05, to lugnet.technic)