 Technic / 13419
Re: Tallest lego crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:20:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery wrote:
In lugnet.general, Alvin Brant wrote:
<snip> ... Liebherr LR-11200 Crawler Crane that is 18 feet tall (almost 6
meters).  There are some pictures posted at the following link.

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=104438
<snip>

Alvin- WOW! What a great way to start off the new year. Awesome MOC!

That's certainly a record-breaking crane. The boom construction looks sturdy and
you've done a good job there. I think you're about to even-up with ROSCO for the
largest collection of black Technic beams :-)

Please tell us more! How is the turntable constructed? How many motors do you
have and where are they in the model? How much can the crane lift?

best,
TJ
http://www.texbrick.com

Thanks for the compliments!

Currently, the base of the model has been disassembeled because of problems that
I encountered with the slewing and crawling.  The motors and gearing were off,
and the crane wouldn's slew under its own power with the full 50 lbs of
counterweight on the superlift carrier, nor would it move without breaking the
technic bulldozer links apart.  This is only a small setback, and I am more
concerned with the upper body works than the carrier.  It would be nice to have
a full functioning lower works, but right now I just dont have the parts or time
to make it work.

There are currently 5 of the geared technic motors in the upper body, each one
controls its own winch.  The winches have a clutch to spool out line when
setting up the crane, and also to use auxiliary motors when setting up (for
speed reasons). The winches will pickup the main boom and jib from 0 degrees
under their own power, but it takes almost 2 hours to get to 85 degrees.  I use
auxillary motors and to speed up this process when setting up the crane. (If you
look at the following picture, you can see one of these motors:

The turntable is made of a technic turntable in the center, and the slew ring
was made from hinge bricks and hinge plates along with some 2 x 2 plates and 2 x
2 tiles arranged in a 24 stud wide ring.  This works pretty well.  The only
drawback was because of all the counterweight that goes on the carrier, I had to
put a bolt thorough the center to keep it from turing over backwards when
setting up.  I know that that makes the model not 100% lego, but i am OK with
that.

As far as how much it can lift, that has not been tested.  When I set up this
first run, the wind was blowing about 10 mph, so the tip was moving from side to
side 6 or 8 inches.  I didnt want to add to that strain by adding a load.  I was
actually kind of surprised that it didnt turn over because it was listing so far
from left to right. If you check out the following link:

you will see the picture of the crane set up in the SDBW Configuration.  I have
tested this to 40 lbs so far.  I think that it can handle more, but I have to do
some more work to the gearing of the motors in order for them to handle the
extra weight.  I will be sure to post some picutres of the test lifts when I get
her back together and all the bugs worked out.  All in all, though, I was quite
satisfied with the way the crane preformed for it being the first time tested.

Regards--Alvin