 Technic / 13020
13019  |  13021
Subject:
Bring your spybots to Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 03:26:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Phillip Thorne wrote:
In lugnet.technic on 9 July 2004, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
I'll be working on the Spybot Swarm project (more to come) [...]

So, what *is* a Spybot Swarm?  It's on the schedule, but there's no description.
I have a Gigamesh I can bring, but what accessories (if any) does it need?  (I
outfitted it with fat tires because the cloppety-clop tri-wheels annoyed me.)

This includes a multiple Spybotic unit "swarming" experiment being conducted by
Steve Hassenplug. The more Spybotics units the better. I have a few, and I am
sure others are bringing more. I am hoping there'll be at least a dozen or more
of the little guys clawing and climbing around each other.

Thanks to being overwhelmed by other stuff, this hasn't gotten as far as I'd
hoped.  However, parts are coming together nicely.

I've been able to collect 13 Spybots, (stripped down a bit).  Tonight, I've
finally got a simple program working.

Please bring your spybots.  I'll have the program available for download at
Brickfest.

Right now, it's pretty simple.  All the spybots will follow the Queen.  The
program works as both the queen and the... drone(?).  Just change the channel
(between 1 & 3) to switch between modes.  Holding the touch sensor while
starting the program causes the motors to reverse direction, in case the bot is
built that way.

When you press the fire button on the remote, the queen switches between
"attract" and "repeal", so suddenly, all the little guys scatter.

It could use some other features, but it's a start.

Well, here's the web page, but I don't have the code posted, yet.
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/spybotswarm.htm

See you at Brickfest...

Steve