 Technic / 13021
Re: 4.5V? 9V? 12V?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:45:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Joe Strout wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Jordan Bradford wrote:

   Buy one of these and have at it! (It’s 9V, like all new TECHNIC models.)

Or get this kit (you get extra parts).

I said simple electronics! If I had the time and money for a Mindstorms set, I wouldn’t be asking the question. :)

Anyway, it seems rather overkill to buy an entire robotics kit when I just want to be able to turn on a (Minifig-scale) porch light from the other side of the layout. Is there really no easier way to do it?

(I do appreciate the info from both respondents that LEGO seems to have settled on 9V circuitry. I’ll focus my search there.)

Isn’t this just a case of a 9V Battery box with 6x AA batteries, a number of 9V wires with 2x2 plugs on each end and a 9V light unit? For a shorter duration use, the smaller battery box with a PP3 battery will do - any light and sound sets on brickink have a battery box and lights in one set, so you need only add a wire for the distance. Both types of battery box have an integral switch.

If you want to do some kind of automatic switching, the cheaper alternative to a Mindstorms kit is to chop one of the leads in half, bare the ends and solder each to a piece of veroboard. Put whatever you like on the veroboard - relays or transistors can drive the light.

Alternatively, as I have done, make some 9V to 12V plug converter leads and use 1/0.6 bell wire shoved in the ends of the 12V plugs. Distance is no limit then as bell wire costs <$5/100m. Use the solid single core wire though. I use this scheme on my railway, connecting the feed wire to the track and a converter lead to that, with 12V wires back to the power supply. I used it because 12V plugs are easier to integrate with normal wires.

Mark