 Technic / 11464
Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:18:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mike Walsh wrote:

<<snip>>

Amusement Park:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/100_0375.jpg

Cool!

Octopus Ride:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/dscn0635.jpg

I like the way you did the arm-lifting mechanism!

Swings:  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/dscn0638.jpg

If you own the chains for it, perhaps you can suspend the seats with those?

Originally I was going to use a worm gear but for some reason, I rejected
that idea (which now I think is probably the correct solution)

A worm gear has it's benefits. It makes a great deal of gear reduction in a
small space and it can't be backdriven due to the friction in it. The weak
points of it is mainly; It has a lot of friction (which can be a benefit as
mentioned) and it get's pushed to the side due to the forces.

This side-pushing force makes it grind into what's next to it, commonly a
technic brick. This will generate a lot of ABS-dust - especially under tougher
load and long duration (as the one you are looking at). You can reduce the
effect by putting in a lot of half busings between the worm and the side support
but sooner rather then later the worm will push these into the brick and we're
grinding dust again.

I'd say; Don't use the wormgear! Or if you "have" to use it, put it in near the
motor where the forces are less.

If you don't have anything in the middle of the turntable, put in a z24 gear:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3648

(you might need to put the turntable upside-down so the correct half of it is
driven).

That would give the best match with the turntable itself. Then run a technic
cross axle down into a stack of technic 2 x n plates (to act as a support).

Put a bevel gear on the same axle, use the thicker ones (double bevel) if you
own them:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/32269

Space the gear with bushings/half bushings so it mesh with another one in the
horisontal direction and put in a gear train as needed to run it.

If the middle hole of the turntable us occupied already, you can put gears on
the outside rim of the turntable. The best way might be to use a driven gear on
one side and a coaster on the other, to help avoid the turntable being pushed to
the side. Then use the above mentioned technique to get an axle horisontal.

You could, of course, use the z24 crown gear aswell:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3650

HTH!

Experiment, improvise, improve and have fun!

(if you're not that serious about pure LEGO, put in some grease in the
turntable. The word is that it makes miracles - never tried it myself)

--
Best regards,
/Tobbe