 Technic / 11469
Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:26:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mike Walsh wrote:
I am wading into the pool of Technic experts in hopes one of you can offer
me a good suggestion to a problem I am having.  I don't do much with Technic
but for our last (NCLTC) train show I decided I wanted to make an amusement
park.  I had built a crude merry-go-round a number of years ago and was
never real happy with it but never did much about it either.

For this show I decided to rebuild the merry-go-round and add a few more
rides.  Space and time dictated what I could get done before the show and I
ended up with four moving rides - a new merry-go-round, a ferris wheel, a
rotating swing, and an octopus-like ride.

Mike,

These look like some really nice rides!  You might also want to take a look at
some of the amusement park rides that have been designed by various NELUG
members.  In particular, Joe Comeau has built an Octopus and a merry-go-round
that you might be able to borrow some good ideas from.

I was unable to find any of the pictures/videos that I know I've taken of these
rides, but here is a fuzzy one that I found on the NELUG website that shows a
few of these rides on a layout that we did last December:

http://www.nelug.org/Events/Sleigh_Bell_Festival__02/Sleigh_Bell_Festival_02/sleigh_bell_festival_02_14.html

Joe has done a really nice job on the Octo simply by tying the strings around an
off-center axle and then making the ride rotate like a merry-go-round.  This
makes the arms raise and lower once per revolution, and really looks authentic.
It also makes the ride itself very compact, which fits the minifig scale very
well.

Joe's merry-go-round is also fantastic.  He actually made his with horses that
bob up and down as the ride goes around!

I'll post more pictures if/when I locate them.  I hope this helps!

- Chris.