 Technic / 11468
Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:31:07 GMT

Very cool. I'll have to build one soon!

Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mike Walsh wrote:

Octopus Ride:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/dscn0635.jpg

I'd say; Don't use the wormgear! Or if you "have" to use it, put it in near the
motor where the forces are less.

If you don't have anything in the middle of the turntable, put in a z24 gear:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3648

(you might need to put the turntable upside-down so the correct half of it is
driven).
Taking in a couple of Tobbe's suggestions (and ignoring his worm gear warning), I
came up with a possible drive train. You'll have to add supporting structure. I
used the turntable upside-down, and envision the whole ride suspended from the
base of the turntable (which is on top). You should be able to fully enclose the
drive train in a 10-stud diameter box, so you wouldn't have to put anything below
baseplate level. I'm not sure how well the belt drive will work, but it keeps the
drive train compact, and it's realistic. Also, you can't actually lay a worm gear
box directly on to a motor like I did.

Post-moderation:

Deep links:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus.ldr
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus02.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus03.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus04.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus05.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus06.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus07.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus08.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus09.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus10.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus11.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ALittleSlow/AmusementParks/Octopus/octopus12.jpg

(if you're not that serious about pure LEGO, put in some grease in the
turntable. The word is that it makes miracles - never tried it myself)

I grease nearly every part of the gear train for shows--specifically to cut down
on the powdered plastic effect. I use "Type 25 silicone compound" from Radio
Shack, but others use other lubricants. Just don't use anything oil-based!