 Technic / 11463
Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:27:47 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mike Walsh wrote:
   Fundamentally I think my drive system is flawed and I am looking to the Technic experts for suggestions on how one should drive a turntable. Originally I was going to use a worm gear but for some reason, I rejected that idea (which now I think is probably the correct solution) and instead drove the turn tables with this part: http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6589

Bevel gears do not mesh well with anything else except other bevel gears.

   So the question - is there a recommended method of driving a turn table? I am trying to keep all of the gearing under the base structure I have built up (three bricks + one plate, same height as the 9V motor attached to the baseplate with two 1x2 plates).

For what you’re doing I’d use a worm gear, because it will take up the least amount of space. The ride will turn kind of slowly, but that’s what you want, right? Try a test with the worm gear attached directly to a motor and then to your turntable. If it’s still too fast you can gear it down.

Otherwise, turntables mesh well with any other normal gear. A lot of people also use an 8-tooth gear when they want a lot of reduction. Using any gear besides a worm gear or a crown gear will mean your drive axle will be parallel to the turntable, which takes up space. Crown gears can attach without being parallel, but they’re much taller than worm gears.