 Technic / 11462
Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:27:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mike Walsh wrote:
I am wading into the pool of Technic experts in hopes one of you can offer
me a good suggestion to a problem I am having.  I don't do much with Technic
but for our last (NCLTC) train show I decided I wanted to make an amusement
park.  I had built a crude merry-go-round a number of years ago and was
never real happy with it but never did much about it either.

[snip]

Gallery (after moderation):

Some deep links (Warning - these pictures are big):

Amusement Park:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/100_0375.jpg
Octopus Ride:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/dscn0635.jpg
Merry-Go-Round:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/dscn0636.jpg
Swings:  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/dscn0638.jpg
Ferris Wheel:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/Amusement-Park/dscn0637.jpg

I had a problem with the Octopus ride, the weight and design seems to put
more load on the the system than and of the others and by the middle of the
show on Sunday, it was slipping to the point where I disconnected the power
for the remained of the show.

Fundamentally I think my drive system is flawed and I am looking to the
Technic experts for suggestions on how one should drive a turntable.
Originally I was going to use a worm gear but for some reason, I rejected
that idea (which now I think is probably the correct solution) and instead
drove the turn tables with this part:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6589

I could never get the spacing to line up exactly as I wanted it, I always
seemed to be about half a stud off but it worked when I was building it and
seemed to hold up okay so that is what I went with.  I never ran it for six
hours straight while I was building it.  Essentially the shaft from the
motor goes through a series of gears to slow it down before connecting to
the bevel gear which turns the turn table.

So the question - is there a recommended method of driving a turn table?  I
am trying to keep all of the gearing under the base structure I have built
up (three bricks + one plate, same height as the 9V motor attached to the
baseplate with two 1x2 plates).

Hi Mike,

  Nice models.

  I would not have chosen to drive the turntable with a 12 tooth beveled gear.
The teeth on the 12T are so small compared to the teeth on the turntable.  I
would guess that the gear wore out and you no longer got much contact between
the two gears.

  The 40T, 24T, 24T Crown, 16T or 8T would have been better choices.  The teeth
of these gears are the same dimension as the teeth on the turntable.

  The 14T single or double bevel and 20T single or double bevel's teeth are
different dimensions.  The two gear groups can play together, but I would have
tried a double bevel with the turntable before I tried the single bevel.  I
would have tried the 24T crown before the single or double bevels.

  The beveled gears work on spacing that is different than the 40T, 24T, 16T or
8T.  You can merge the two classes of gears sometimes by combining a 1x1 technic
brick with hole with a 2,4,6,8,10,12,14, or 16 stud technic brick (beam).  The
1x1 (and 1x2 technic beam with two holes) offset the holes by 1/2 stud compared
to the other technic bricks.  This 1/2 stud difference lets you combine the two
gear spacing groups.

  I'm no gearhead (I'm into pneumatics) so don't be suprised if I get
contradicted by other more knowledgable technic builders.

Kevin

Thanks,

Mike