 Technic / 11461
  Looking for Technic suggestions ...

I am wading into the pool of Technic experts in hopes one of you can offer me a good suggestion to a problem I am having. I don't do much with Technic but for our last (NCLTC) train show I decided I wanted to make an amusement park. I had built a (...) (21 years ago, 28-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...

(...) [snip] (...) Hi Mike, Nice models. I would not have chosen to drive the turntable with a 12 tooth beveled gear. The teeth on the 12T are so small compared to the teeth on the turntable. I would guess that the gear wore out and you no longer (...) (21 years ago, 29-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...

(...) For what you're doing I'd use a worm gear, because it will take up the least amount of space. The ride will turn kind of slowly, but that's what you want, right? Try a test with the worm gear attached directly to a motor and then to your (...) (21 years ago, 29-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...

In lugnet.technic, Mike Walsh wrote: <<snip>> (...) A worm gear has it's benefits. It makes a great deal of gear reduction in a small space and it can't be backdriven due to the friction in it. The weak points of it is mainly; It has a lot of (...) (21 years ago, 29-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...

(...) I really like the octopus Mike, using string to move the arms is a great idea. The technic turntable is a godsend for things like this, when I was young I always wanted to make octupus type rides but could never get them quite right since (...) (21 years ago, 29-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...

Very cool. I'll have to build one soon! (...) Taking in a couple of Tobbe's suggestions (and ignoring his worm gear warning), I came up with a possible drive train. You'll have to add supporting structure. I used the turntable upside-down, and (...) (21 years ago, 29-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Looking for Technic suggestions ...

(...) Mike, These look like some really nice rides! You might also want to take a look at some of the amusement park rides that have been designed by various NELUG members. In particular, Joe Comeau has built an Octopus and a merry-go-round that you (...) (21 years ago, 29-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message news:HnIM5K.1nnz@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) Thanks to all for all of the positve feedback, I had a lot of fun building these. A number of clubs have used amusement (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.technic)