 Technic / 11290
Re: Shocking news from Brickset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:00:21 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Keith Hui wrote:

  1. New set number and new instructions made because of this new kick? “For even more action, use the #8735 Power Pack (sold separately) and watch the truck move on its own.
  2. 8438 comes in 2003-style yellow boxes, same size as 8431?
  3. It’ll eventually come to US/Canada at US$85 or less?
  4. Piece count “finally officially reduced” because of the part substitutions made on 8431?
  5. One of the pneumatic cylinders will be replaced by the new type?
  6. Lego in their infinite wisdom thinks a Technic set should not become a legend?
  7. Someone will see both 8431 and 8438 on the same store shelves, right besides each other?

My speculation #3 has come true!! Straight from S@H when told to ship to Canada:

Item#: 8438
Ages: 11+
Pieces: 839
Price: USD 84.99

Preorder this item today, will ship by 24 Oct 2003

Hooray! Even though I already have a 8431.

The Backhoe is on backorder again. Now with a free shipping offer and 8457 on clearance at half off I am thinking really hard about getting one for parts then grab the backhoe while there with the Loonie strong at 74 cents.

Cheers, Keith