 Technic / 1117
Re: "Technic"ally deficient
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:10:48 GMT

Good for you!  Technic is really neato.

This message is pretty long, so here's the summary:  I suggest the Speed
Slammers, 8236 Bike Burner and 8237 Formula Force.  They're fairly simple but
demonstrate some principles of Technic building, and they're fun.  Now, if you
feel like reading more...

I just got 8236 Bike Burner, and 8238 Slammer Dragsters.  I think these Speed
Slammers sets might be a good place to start in the currently available Technic
line.  They're small and simple enough that you shouldn't find them
frustrating, but they also have enough parts that you can start experimenting
with some small designs of your own.  It's also pretty fun to launch them
across the floor, despite my initial skepticism on seeing their catalog
entries. They feature the new modular construction which is appearing in the
small/medium sets nowadays and which I think provides a nice intermediate step
between building from instructions and creating original designs.  The modular
design lets you swap pieces between different sets without major
reconstruction, or you can modify one unit at a time.

I actually like 8236 better than 8238, I think it's more typical of good solid
technic construction, and the steerable front wheel makes it more fun to play
with.  Besides, the two cars and launchers in 8238 are basically identical,
which I found to be sort of boring.  On the other hand 8236 does not include
parts to build a launcher, so I'll go out on a limb and suggest 8237, Formula
Force, the other Speed Slammer car.  I don't have one, but 8237 comes with a
launcher, and it looks like its design is somewhat similar to 8236.  You could
easily get 8237 Formula Force and 8236 Bike Burner for about $16, and have
enough parts and buidling experience to get you started, and give you some
Technic confidence.

There are two things, however, which might make the speed slammers less
appealing: they don't use any of the familiar lego stud construction - mostly
Technic pin and hole; and they don't have any gears.  Being a non-technic
builder, it might be a bit cruel to deprive you of studs and bricks right away,
but unfortuantely most of the small (<$20) sets to be produced in the last
couple of years are completely bereft of studs.  The lack of gears is another
concern, since gears are so symbolic of the Technic genre.  But gears are only
one type of mechanism, and they wouldn't be nearly so interesting if it weren't
for levers, pushrods, and inclined planes - all of which are present in the
Speed Slammers sets.  I think these sets are a good place to start, and if you
like them, you can go on to something like 8417 Mag Wheel Master, 8444 Air
Enforcer, or even 8250 Search Sub (phone special this week) if you feel
adventurous.

-Phil

With this in mind, what is a good *starter* set that will capture my
attention without raising my frustration level?