 Technic / 1118
1117  |  1119
Subject:
happy day with 8855
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:54:50 GMT

I don't mean to sound boastful, but I thought I'd share a brief episode which
made me happy.  When I was a kid, I was given the 8855 big yellow prop plane (I
don't think that's the official name) for Christmas.  I can still clearly
recall putting it together, pretending that I was a big crane assembling a real
airplane (I knew a little less about aircraft manufacturing back then).

Sometime between then and now, my interest in Lego waned and the parts were
stored away and the instructions lost completely.  I pursued other interests,
became interested in girls, decided to study aeronautical engineering, lost
interest in girls, rediscovered my lego, and got my engineering degree.

Last night, I found scanned instructions for 8855 at brickshelf.com.  I started
wondering whether I still had all the special parts to rebuild the plane, so I
printed out the instructions, and got to work.  It turned out that I did have
the big propellor, three socket ended push rods, a bunch of sloped technic
pieces and all 18(!) 16L yellow beams (just barely).  The only bits I was
missing were a 4x10 yellow plate (which I promply retrieved from my big
brother's abandoned sack of lego, and a clear 2x1 brick, which I'm still
looking for.

It was quite a thrill to see that big yellow plane come back together.  Even
though most of the parts probably aren't original to that set, and others show
a bit of scuffing or fading, rebuilding that plane brought back some fond
memories and helped me to realize how important an influence lego has been on
my life (forget about that losing interest in girls thing, I'm sure it's
completely unrelated to lego.  Really. I'm pretty sure.)

So, if you have fond memories of an old set, try resurrecting it.  You don't
have to find it on ebay, just dig up the instructions, or get them from
brickshelf, and start building :-)

-Phil

(Damn, why can't I ever write anything brief?)