 Technic / 10096
Re: Minifig scale snow plow, motorized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 01:31:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stéphane Simard writes:
PS: still in the small size department check out the two minifig scale
vehicules at the top of this page:
http://www.wegmuller.org/lego/minifig/index.html

Cool.

I think there's a huge potential for Town-Technic hybrids out there. My next
one will probably be a small Town building with a working elevator,
hopefully controlled by RCX and touch sensors.

Now, if only I could find a way to make those minifigs walk on their own...
*ponders*

Stephane

I built the train station shown on this picture:
http://www.baylug.org/gats/AUT11819.JPG for the BayLTC layout last year.
It has a Mindstorm controlled elevator. It uses a regular Technic motor to
make the cabin move and two micro motors to open and close the sliding doors
on each level.
The main motor is connected to the chain that lifts the cabin through a
clutch gear. At each end of the chain there is a wide chain element that
stops the cabin movement at a precise point. A rotation sensor mounted on
the same cross axle as the gear driving the chain detects the lack of motion
and the Mindstorm brick stops the motor. This design was quite reliable. Of
course this is only a two level elevator, adding more levels would be
possible: just count the rotary sensors' pulses to stop at the intermediate
levels. You could even maintain two counts for each level, depending on the
direction of travel... The doors were operated based purely on timings: this
was not a good idea (if a door jams open, and they did, then your walking
mini-fig might fall off the building!). So there is room for improvement in
that area. One neat thing I was thinking about but never succesfuly built
was a design where the micro-motor to power the doors would be on the roof
of the cabin and would open the cabin doors and the current level's doors at
once... I think that this is how real elevator doors work.

Greetings,
David