 Technic / 10097
10096  |  10098
Subject:
my 8466 with 4 wheel steering stronger axles and better front suspension.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:14:31 GMT

I got my 8466 2 weeks ago and After I built it I looked at it for 2 days and
realized some weak points in the wheel mounting and the front suspension was
weak. And come on where is the 4ws?

I figured someone should have done a 4ws, so I looked through the lugnet
archives and found no pics of 4ws, so I had to build it myself and I figured
it was a nice way to get used to the liftarm which I never owned until then.
I hadn`t bought anything since 1997...

So first I improved the front suspension by replacing the 7 stud liftarms by
10 stud bricks. I didn`t have any spare 9 stud liftarms then.

Then I tore the alternate body off the frame, and put it away in big pieces
to be put on when I got 4ws to work.

After an afternoon of building and then ripping the whole frame apart 7
times I had finally built a suitable rear axle. Basically it is the mirror
image of the front axle without steering wheel, engine mounts, and
suspension mounts. The gearing of the drive is pretty similar I just moved
it back to give me more room to figure out something for the steering. Since
the axles had to turn the same way I would have to drop it down using 3 8t
gears. 10 different designs later I replaced some of the solid bricks in the
transmission and replaced them with a 1x1 brick and a 1x1 brick with hole to
allow the
mounting of a 3x5 liftarm with 90 degree bend. since the liftarm was
attached to the tranny with friction pins, there was no extra friction on
any of the turning crossaxles.

So then I came to the realization I had used too many parts from the body to
put it back on. Since I needed some replacement gears and wanted some other
parts as well I decided to hop onto bricklink get some of the stuff I
already wanted plus what I needed to put the body back onto the frame.

What I also got was some 11x1 liftarms to reinforce the wheel mountings,
then I used the 9x1 liftarms left over on the front suspension instead of
the bricks.

The result:
PM

DL
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/02steer.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/03steer.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/04bottom.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/05front_strong
er.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/06rear_stronge
r.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/07steering.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/FlyingDutchman/Improved8466/08rear_drive.j
pg

As I was taking these pics I noticed I had forgot to put on one liftarm that
is there only for symetry and maybe a bit to protect the steering dropdown
gears ;)

Gerard