 Storage / 779
Re: Source for Akro-Mils cabinets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:59:44 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.storage, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.storage, Eric Kingsley writes:

I know what you mean.  The ones with the 3 huge drawers with smaller ones • one
the side are nice for certain things but often the large drawers are too
large.

And the one with all small drawers is nice too, but often too small.

I just wish
they had a configuration with all medium sized drawers.

Akro-Mils does make these.  That's what I'm looking for.

I could use some of these.  All of my Akro-Mils drawer units are either the
23-drawer or the 36-all-too-small-to-use variety.  I definitely prefer the
cabinets with the larger drawer sizes.  I currently have a lot of empty
small-size drawers, and not nearly enough medium- and large-size drawers for
some of my overflow storage.

I was recently gazing at my sorting bins deciding that I could stand to add
six more of the 23-drawer units and a pair of 36-drawer units.  However, if
cabinets with all mid-size drawers were available (18-drawers?) I would leap
at the chance to score 8 or 16 of them.

I actually wonder if it would be worth
our while to contact Akro-Mils directly to see about a large wholesale • order.

Beleive it or not, this is something I was thinking about a short time ago... • I wondered how much we would have to order at once....

Maybe if there are enough NELUG folks who want such drawers, we could • actually
do it.

Wal-Mart currently sells the 23-drawer and 36-drawer units for just under
$11 apiece.  ($10.97, IIRC...)  So if Akro-Mils can compete with that price
on a direct order, I'd definitely take some.  Also, since I have never seen
the 18-drawer unit at Wal-Mart, I'd definitely like to find an alternate
supplier.

I also once found some of these units at the soon-to-be-demised Bradlees
department stores.  At the time, they were a few pennies more expensive than
at Wal-Mart.  However, if you were to find a stash of these on 70% clearance
at Bradlees, you'd be in pretty good shape.  (If the clock hasn't already
run out for "Mrs. B.", I mean.)

I have one of the 18-drawer units from a purchase more than 10 years ago from
where I don't remember (the gray of the cabinet was lighter back then), and I
have been looking to get some more for the same reasons. I tried last year to
order them at a hardware store that actually had them listed in a catalog, but
they never showed up (good I did not pre-pay). I think they were available to
the store as either four or six units because I asked for one 11-drawer unit
(before I found them at Wal-mart) and quite a few showed up the next week. This
particular hardware store sold the units individually for about $23 but I don't
know what the wholesale price is.