 Storage / 449
Re: LEGO box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:30:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

(Crossposted to lugnet.build because this is more about building vs. collecting
than storage issues.)

In lugnet.storage, Andrew Knowles writes:
I keep everything as well.  Except for the old plastic bags.  I originally
did it just to keep track of the sets I had but now I use them to prove to
people that I really do have the sets I say I have even if they're not
built.

I take care of inventorying the sets I've bought by cutting the UPC bar
code (which contains the set number) from the box before I flatten and throw
the box away. I have kept some of the largest boxes, though, and boxes from
rarer sets (like Fort Legoredo--that's a box!)

Ron, If you seriously want to make some many from these sets having the
box is extremely important.  Anyone can throw a set together from other
pieces and try to sell it off for cash.  Serious collectors can tell the
difference.

People who "seriously want to make some many from these sets" are the people
who make it hard for builders to get enough parts to build decently sized and
decorated (with accessories, minifigs, etc.) models. Ebay auctions being a
prime example of this inflation of price over what the pieces are actually
worth (i.e. what they bring to a model, or their true scarcity).

On another point, I've taken sets and constructed alternative models (which
are IMO superior to the model with instructions) with about half to 3/4 the
pieces. Who's to say the "official" model has more value, or more
playability? The point is what fits in your theme.

Keep the boxes!!!!!!  They mean as much as the bricks!!!!

No, they do not.

They do increase the value for people who would rather collect than build--
but I really don't think collecting unopened boxes is anywhere near as much
fun as building with the bricks inside. For one thing, the boxes don't have
studs on top, so the walls you make from them tend to fall apart rather
easily.