 Storage / 1485
Re: Project Building and Sorting Table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 06:04:36 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
   Off and on for the past week I’ve been building a table for my Lego room:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/table/p1010008.jpg

Peter-

Looks useful!

Clearly the optimum table size and construction depends a lot on how you sort and store you LEGO and what you build.

Although we once again have lots of our standard club tables in handy sizes like 30 x 60 and 30 x 30 so we can set up as many as we need, our favorite building space is a 36 x 60 butcher block table. There’s something satisfying about the substantial and smooth surface.

But, like you, I have wondered what might make an optimized sorting/storing arrangement. Short of the fantasy solution that has a single opening into which one can drop fully assembled (and dusty) models that then disassembles, cleans, sorts, and stores, there’s a lot of room for ideas. One that appeals to me is a roll around table with 1 inch wide by 3 inch long slots in the back (or front). The slots are separated by 1/8 inch material that opens into storage areas all 1 inch wide by 2 feet high by 20 or so inches deep (the depth of most of the table). With a scheme like this, one could sort 72 different items in a 72 inch wide table. If the openings were in the middle, the table could have two rows of slots and provide 144 storage bins in a single table. Some slots could be narrower (for plates) and some wider (for more volumous parts). Currently, we have dedicated roll-around tower carts with 48 custom dividers that hold all the basic plates, tiles, and bricks for a given color. That means 3 tables could handle 9 most basic colors. An idea, anyway...

Credit to you for having something concrete to use today and tomorrow!

-Ted