 Storage / 1349
Re: NELUG's Trailer to Store and Transport our Club Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:10:34 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.storage, John Gerlach wrote:
   One suggestion: Get more straps to prevent stuff from sliding sideways off the shelving units! Looking at ‘25loaded.jpg’, I see a box sitting on top of the tables on the left side, and several modules just sitting on the shelves on the right. Strap ‘em down, because you’d be surprised how much stuff can slide...

We have more straps, but we didn’t have enough E-Track clips to tie them down to. We found out (two weeks too late!) that one of our members works at Cap World, so he’s getting more clips.

The big problem is all the models. We have several buildings that are currently sitting on shelves, and no mere bungy cord is going to keep them in one piece. We need to somehow pad the models or wrap them in Saran Wrap to hold them together. Probably our best bet will be to get a cardboard box that is large enough to hold each model, and stack them on the shelves with bungies to hold them in place.

Boxes have the additional benefit of if pieces do fall off a model, they’ll end up in the box (hopefully!). Makes it much easier to rebuild/repair the model if all the pieces are in one place.

The GMLTC uses a bunch of Lego cardboard boxes from some old ‘freestyle’ sets (that contained the three-sectional tray), as well as Rubbermaid containers. We also just got a couple of boxes from some computer printers, they’re great - very sturdy and stackable. I even found some stacking totes at a local surplus store, they’re just big enough for a 10”x10” baseplate across the bottom. So far we’re just using one, we put Dan Siskind’s lighthouse into it.

As for padding, we use some interlocking floor mats (designed for kid’s rooms), as well as some sheets of ‘eggshell’ foam.

Anything to keep stuff from bouncing around too much, you know... :-)

JohnG, GMLTC