 Storage / 1025
Re: Storage thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:19:56 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Jon Palmer writes:
2. I just bought an Akro Mils 23 drawer cabinet.  I bought this for my
brickbay store to kind of test it out.  I like it but for even my relatively
small store the smallest drawers seem too small.
I like the drawers, even the small ones. I'm using close to 1000 of them
now. I find that if I sort by color as well, one drawer handles most small
parts. When it overflows, I can set a second small one on top of the first.
(And when that overflows, I move to the larger drawer size. Etc.)

But I don't like the cabinets the drawers fit in. In fact, I've taken
fiendish glee to smashing the cabinets with a large axe -- obstensibly to
make it easier to fit them in bags for the garbage collectors to pick up,
but also to exact revenge. What could a cabinet do to deserve that?

For one, hold my LEGO elements so that I couldn't get at them. I would open
a drawer, drop in a few more elements, and close it, and once shut it
couldn't be opened again. My new drawers have smooth tops so that no matter
how much you put in them, they can't jam when closed.

Secondly, the cabinets are by design inflexible. They don't allow switching
the ratio of smaller to larger drawers. My new system allows for 33 small
drawers, 8 large drawers, or anything in between.

Third, the cabinets are an inefficient use of wall space. When I got up to
30 or 40 cabinets, I was hanging them on the backs of doors, had them under
tables, anywhere I could find. By replacing them with horizontal organizers,
I get lots of wallspace back and most of my parts within an arm's reach.

When I build, I take the individual drawers to the tabletop or floor, or if
I have a huge quantity, I put some elements in a sorting tray (I use Advent
calenders for sorting.)

Cary