 Storage / 1023
Re: Storage thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 04:42:34 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Jon Palmer writes:
Here is a pic of my collection (not including my store):

yep, you are definately going to need to reorganize when you disassemble the
Bardiel...

Now that you have an idea of what my storage is like I have a few questions:

1. How/where do you build?  The only way I have ever built is on the floor
with the tubs and tackle boxes sort of wrapped around me.  I know many of
you sit at a table and build.  Do some of you do both?

I used to sit on the floor when I was younger, and never considered building
any other way.  When I was in high school, my back and neck would start to
ache too much after Lego building sprees, so I started building on the couch
with some card tables in front of me and the sorted bricks all around, or on
my bed (sans tables).
Now that I have a dedicated space just for Lego, I only build sitting at my
Lego table, or standing at a large worktable near it.  I have no more neck
pains, which were getting kinda bad for a while.

2. I just bought an Akro Mils 23 drawer cabinet.  I bought this for my
brickbay store to kind of test it out.  I like it but for even my relatively
small store the smallest drawers seem too small.  I know many of you have
mentioned this problem.  Which do you prefer -- the Akro Mils style drawer
cabinets or the Plano style tackle boxes?  Do some of you use both?  I would
think if I were going to sit at a table the drawers might be better.  But
the tackle boxes would seem to be better on the floor.

I got a few of those, but I find them too small myself.  And I don't like
how dark they are, it makes things hard to find.

I have been going through a re-organization lately and have discovered that
for detail sorting, Shimano boxes are my fav.  I got a couple a few weeks
ago as an experiment, and I love them.  They have rounded bottoms, the large
sized ones are 6 columns by 4 rows, which is a nice number for sorting, and
the rows are modular walled.
They are clear, so I can find what I want in a hurry.  They are pretty cheap
too, my Walmart has the larger sized ones for $4.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!
If anyone is interested I might post some individual pics of my tubs and
sorting process. (Geeky I know, but I thought it might be useful to someone)

no, not really geeky although sometimes when I come across posted pics of
collections on brickshelf I wonder to myself if the poster is trying to brag
or something.  OTOH, when I see sorted bins pics, I usually check them out
because I find it fascinating to learn how others sort.

If you want to see the Shimano Boxes, and how I use them to sort, LMK and
I'll get some pics.  Post some pics of your stuff Jon, I'd definately like
to see how you sort.

cheers!
Joel Kuester