 Storage / 1024
Re: Storage thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:05:23 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Jon Palmer writes:

much clipped

Now that you have an idea of what my storage is like I have a few questions:

1. How/where do you build?  The only way I have ever built is on the floor
with the tubs and tackle boxes sort of wrapped around me.  I know many of
you sit at a table and build.  Do some of you do both?

It varies, most of my building takes place on my coffee table, in front of
the TV (usually keeping my wife and baby company). Sometimes I spread out on
the floor to build. My sorting is progressing to the point where my building
sessions can be portable, just take the current project and a few trays and
build.

2. I just bought an Akro Mils 23 drawer cabinet.  I bought this for my
brickbay store to kind of test it out.  I like it but for even my relatively
small store the smallest drawers seem too small.  I know many of you have
mentioned this problem.  Which do you prefer -- the Akro Mils style drawer
cabinets or the Plano style tackle boxes?  Do some of you use both?  I would
think if I were going to sit at a table the drawers might be better.  But
the tackle boxes would seem to be better on the floor.

Like my Lego collection, my sorting technique is evolving and growing. Right
now I'm in credit card debt, so cheapness is the highest priority. I bought
6 plastic shoeboxes at KMart (1.5 gallons, 88 cents apiece), five of which
are for bulk storage of bricks, sorted by color, black, white, red, yellow
and blue, and the sixth used to sort. So far, it's easy enough to find
pieces in there, but they're only 1/4 full.

Next, I use a few Stackon trays. I have an architecture tray (windows,
doors, arches), a vehicle one, a technic one, and a gray one. I'm impressed
with these trays, $4.99 a piece and I can hold enough for a decent building
session.

Also, I have a few smaller sectioned trays, I forget the manufacturer.
They're for odd parts, and small amounts of mixed colors. I have one with
black and white pieces, one with red and green pieces, and two with others
and small parts.

Finally, I have big bins with zip locks for parts that have been sorted by
piece, but not into colors. Plus a few more shoeboxes, Lego bins, Lego snap
cases, sucrets boxes with weapons, etc.

I am making great progress on my unsorted pile on my Lego table, and should
be done by the time Katie starts to crawl.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!
If anyone is interested I might post some individual pics of my tubs and
sorting process. (Geeky I know, but I thought it might be useful to someone)

-Jon

Sure, I'd love to see pics.

George