 Star Wars / 8495
  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) be (...) with (...) in (...) First things first, jay, I really want to curse you out for your condescending remark that I am "just [...] bored [and] trolling." To insinuate that I'd try to stir up controversy around this issue without being (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) Well, I think that of the three you noted (Pirates, Knight's Kingdom, Wild West) this one was the one where TLC was treading the most dangerous ground. The others are pretty clearly in a fantasy realm (Pirating and Privateering had many (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) foundations (...) Be very VERY careful with this assertion... TLG has NEVER made any indication that the Cowboys were vs the indians... If you'll note, every one of the adversarial themes TLG has produced has some character crossover (IE: a (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) You're right, of course. There are no Indians in the Cowboy sets, or vice-versa. I think closing your eyes to the idea that this is how the toys were, to some extent, expected to be played with is a little naive, though. And it doesn't change (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Racial issues in LEGO (was: who's feelin the black pack?)

(...) <snip my comments> (...) Ok, Day. Don't give me a nickname and I will not give you one. (...) I think now that you are sincere. Your first posts seemed almost satirical. I withdraw this comment. (...) I must ask. Why do you have to refer to (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) don't (...) I never saw the marketing for this, I only assumed. Good call. So is it just our societal assumptions that pits the blue clad US soldiers vs. the "indians"? Ehhhhh... I still think it was risky, on TLG's part. They MIGHT have been (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) (URL) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) Don't know if that was supposed to be a funny remark, there are "Cowboys" (US soldiers, really) and "Indians" on the same team duelling with "Cowboys" and "Indians" of another team in that pic. =) See? They can get along! =) They can even join (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) carefully at the pic). Do you know if in the game you actually play the cowboys vs the indians? In any case, I guess I should ammend my statement to say that in the actual LEGO sets, and advertizing for the sets, the above is true. --Karim (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: who's feelin the black pack?

(...) Take a look at the copy of the 1997 (...) page. (...) Neither do I, but here is an excerpt from the above copy: "Gallop over the plains free as the wind, build your tepee and canoe down a swift river like the Native Americans... ...Food and (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Racial issues in LEGO (was: who's feelin the black pack?)

Check this Lando out: (URL) recognizable, and with a yellow face. (Credit given where credit is due, the creator's name is on the page I believe) Jason (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Racial issues in LEGO (was: who's feelin the black pack?)

Yep, the fig jumped right out to me as Lando...and Jabba...lol!!! (...) believe) (...) (24 years ago, 7-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Racial issues in LEGO (was: who's feelin the black pack?)

(...) Of course, that could also be confused as Biggs. ;P -- Andrew, Agent 0007 (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

(...) Sorry Y'all, I can't agree that this Lando's "instantly recognizable." I doubt that any of us would be quick to make such an assumption if we saw the same incarnation of him alone in another setting, or in a context without a written key. I'd (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

(...) I agree with this wholeheartedly. I was looking forward to having both a helmet and a backpack piece from Boba Fett, able to be used seperately. (...) Hmm. Ok. I have to find that other post first, though, so I can remember everything I (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

Judging from our posts to this thread, I'm finding that we really agree on most of the points of this issue, a relief for sure because i was getting really depressed about some of the viewpoints that were expressed on this issue by lugnetters. But (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

Damien, I really don't want to reply to this thread, but it seems to me that this whole race issue is being blown to the infinite amount of distortion on this thread. I will let TLC decide whether or not to make DSM's or whatever politically correct (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

(...) As far as I can tell human "race" is as meaningless in the SW universe as it is in Legoland. There are plenty of references to the differences between alien species and humans, and even some references to different human cultures, but there's (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

(...) Except the first movie, where finding a non-european face is almost impossible. I think this happened in part because it was shot (mostly) in England, but Lucas was roundly criticized for it. Bruce (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Racial politics in LEGO

I must catch a flight in 15 mintues and will not have email for a few days, but had to post quickly: 1. No offense Scott S., but just because something has been discussed before does not mean it should not be discussed again and that nothing will (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

(...) I get a much different feel about Chewie, but I think I've been influenced by the books where (not surprisingly) his back story and character are covered in more depth. (...) I didn't have the hate for Jar-Jar as most people did, though he (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

(...) Wait a second...AT-ST? Are we going to see minifig Ewoks? best LFB (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)

(...) be (...) Yeah, Bruce, you're certainly right. I watched ep 4 again two nights ago and the only black person that I counted was an extra in the mos eisley scenes. apparently, though Lucas wised up. thank god. ---D. (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)