 Star Wars / 8041
8040  |  8042
Subject:
My guesses again for 2001 sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:15:04 GMT

Last I counted, there
were 14 SW related sets released for the 99 model year. This included about
equal numbers Episode 1 and original trilogy. Then for the 2000 model year
they have scheduled to released 15 sets(includes technic droids, and Falcon),
related to the star wars universe. Equal numbers Ep 1 and Original trilogy
(don't forget the Dark Side Discovery set and UCS). So if they keep this pace
up for one more year before the new movie, they need 13 or so more sets, 6 of
one series 7 of the other. Can you even think of 13 total more sets(including
system, technic and UCS)? Its hard to guess as they could do repeats like a
UCS of a smaller model(Naboo Fighter with chrome bricks would be awesome and
do-able).  I don't count UCS in the usual monetary breakdown. So I think we
will still see a 100 set. How about a DS playset base. It will most likely
be a ship though so that leaves the ATAT and the Sand Crawler as the last of
the large vessels. Also, we now have a C3PO mold, so they are going to use it
again to get their moneys worth. Sand Crawler filled with Protocol and
Astromech Droids is my guess due to the mold being unuseable for anything
else. One more thing I noticed, and its pretty secret. I was looking at my
boxes and on the tabs, there is a manufacturing date and the packing/printing
company name. It appears they have the boxes prepared and ready to go 3
months before the product is released. This would mean that for the November
release of 2001 model year sets, the boxes are ready in July or August.
Anyone want to give a call to the packing company and probe for information?

My guesses for the trilogy:
$100 set, Jawa Sandcrawler(we have seen Jawa's in the cartoons in the back of
the instruction manuals and a prototype next to the UCS Xwing)
$50 set, Tyderian Shuttle (slightly out of scale, but feasible)
$30 set, Death Star playset, with Luke, Ben and Vader. Could be multitiered
or many $10-$15 sets to snap together like the Soccer sets but probably an
ATST.
$20 set Tie Fighter or Tie Bomber (maybe not as they need to do a special
pilot helmet).
$10 set Han on a Taun Taun (probably a useless solid piece like the Kaadu),
the Arctic sets already have the coats for it.
$5 set Storm Trooper minifig pack

Episode 1:

There is nothing left that I can think of except the Queens Royal Starship and
a couple playsets. Maybe that is why there were only two sets released this
summer for Episode 1.

$10 set of Droideka's made to minifig scale maybe?
UCS N1?

Jason F.