 Star Wars / 7965
Re: NLS opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:26:48 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:

What Lego has done with the Falcon is make it as cheaply and with as
few parts as possible so they can charge $100.00 for it and make some
profit. I complain about it because Lego hasn't maintained the level of
quality and attention to detail with this set as they have with other SW
sets. They raised the bar on themselves, here. Again, I ask why the MF
has 3 times the parts of the Snowspeeder, but costs 5 times as much.

I just bought the Falcon (as well as the UCS TIE), and after building the
Falcon I have to agree with Mark somewhat.  It's disappointing, especially
when I could have bought 2 X-Wings and a TIE vs Y-Wing set for the same
price.  I guess the minifigs might make it worthwhile to those who are into
minifigs.

The good:  I was quite pleased with the general disk shape.  I really like the
use of the blue tubing for the engine exhausts.  I wonder how it would look
with a fiber-optic light inside the tube?  I don't have any fiber-optic parts,
but I expect the batteries could replace the little scooter-thing.  The
opening access ramp is neat.  I like having the space between the mandibles as
a loading bay, since the ship IS supposed to be a freighter.  Chewbacca, Han,
and C3P0 are nicely done.  The brown and beige pieces look kind of like rust,
so I like them.  There is a *fine* selection of the older style gray 8x4
notched wings, which I had been sorely missing.  Actually, there is a *fine*
selection of lots of pieces.

The bad:  My biggest complaint is this - when I lift it up to admire the blue
exhaust or just to see it in flight, all I see are the garish red and blue
bricks.  I understand that the staggered seating in the cockpit is a necessary
evil - the cockpit already seems fat compared to the hull.  The same goes for
the 90 degree angle that attaches the cockpit.  The hollowed out mandibles
don't bother me - I think they look okay, since the top and bottom plates look
to overhang a bit on the actual ship.  There is only enough space for one in
the hidden compartment.

I haven't tried it yet, but I expect the red/blue brick problem and the hollow
mandibles can be rectified with a single gray brick service pack.  That would
leave the blue 2x1 slopes as the chief eyesores.  Another thing - Why doesn't
Luke have his lightsaber?

In conclusion, I have to say this is the worst SW set I have bought yet.  It's
horribly overpriced.  I am not saying I dislike the set, but rather it is not
up to the same standard as previous sets.  It gets a bottom-of-the-barrel 9
out of 10, where my other sets range from 9.5 to 11 out of 10.  For the sake
of comparison, the stupid WWF wrestling action figures I have to walk past to
get to the Lego section get a 0 out of 10, along with muttered curses.

Jeff J