 Star Wars / 7013
Re: Princess Leia up close and personal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 13:10:41 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Will Lutz writes:

So don't knock the film just because you guys thought you were getting
something we were not.  This film was almost exactly like the first film

Hello - I'm new.

Here's my take on the matter:  Jar Jar was kept in the film for the purpose of
comic relief and making kids giggle.  He had no relevance to the plot at all.
That is what makes his presence different from the other films.  In the first
movie, the droids were the comic relief and closest parallel to Jar Jar, yet
still had the feel of real characters and were instrumental to the plot.  In
ESB, Yoda comes the closest, and was IMO the perfect balance of comedy, kid-
friendly cutseyness, genuineness, and appeal to older audiences.  In ROTJ, it
was, of course, the Ewoks.  I'm still bitter about adding teddy bears as
characters, but at least they were relevant to the plot, and there was some
social commentary about technology and culture.  The Gungun race definitely
could have been included without Jar Jar.  His character is something I might
expect from Disney.

I thought there were significant differences between the first film and
Episode I.  The big difference between the droids and Jar Jar is one.  I can
confidently say we will never see charred human remains again, like we did in
Star Wars - not that I want to, it's just symbolic of the changes.  Star Wars
was huge because it had huge universal (young and old) appeal.  Episode I had
huge kid appeal.  I certainly would *not* like to see R rated Star Wars films
(although I'm sure they'd be awesome!), but rather films with the same
universal appeal as the original.  Unfortunately, this is a very difficult,
maybe impossible task.

Episode was as good as I expected, but not as good as I had hoped.  My hopes
are very high for the next film - "Rise of the Empire".  Sounds like it will
have lots of cool, villainous Empire technology.  Perhaps the new trilogy will
follow somewhat the pattern of the first three, where the good guys are in a
very dark and desperate situation at the end of the second film, and a grand
finale in Episode III.  I find it hard to imagine an uplifting finale for
Episode III, which would logically lead up to Star Wars, but they'll have to
find a way, as it will likely be a long wait until Episodes VII - IX.

I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself.  I'm Jeff and I just started
collecting SW Lego last fall.  Last time I had a new Lego set was the early
80's, before I was even in my teens.  Sorry for such a long message, and I
hope I don't come off as a crotchety grump!

Jeff J