 Star Wars / 6946
Re: Princess Leia up close and personal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 07:09:39 GMT

Xcalabur wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Greg Majewski writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Chris Maddison writes:
Just another example of those great quality heads in the SW line.

Exactly. I've yet to see one that I didn't like.

-Shiri

I have, and his name is Jar-Jar, but I guess he doesn't count :)

He said heads, heads! I don't think we can call that, that-- *thing*-- Jar-Jar
has on top of his shoulders a head...
:-)

-Shiri

Aye, that abomination and waste of plastic is NOT a head.  I honestly don't
know what it is, but a head it is not.  Lucas should have scrapped Jar-Jar
from the get-go.
-Chris

When I first saw the movie I thought Jar-Jar was the worse character ever.  Then I
saw it a second and third and fourth  . . . ah, you get the picture . . . time.
Well Jar-Jar grew on me a little and I thought I could at least stand the guy.  I
mean he did nothing for me but hey its not my movie -)  Any how, we then saw the
movie with a theatre filled with kids (all the other times it was during the day
with very few other people).  Amazing . . . these kids thought Jar-Jar was the
greatest.  They laughed their little heads off every time he was on the screen.  It
was then that I too fell for Jar-Jar.  Lucas hit it on the head with this
character.  Granted, he still is not for me.  Heck I would like to have seen all
the films be R rated but that's just me.  As for the kids, and that is what these
films were and still are aimed at, Jar-Jar was perfect.

So don't knock the film just because you guys thought you were getting something we
were not.  This film was almost exactly like the first film.  If you want to judge
them then at least wait until the other 2 films are out and look at all of them.
There wasn't that many that liked ANH when it first appeared, but us kids.  I saw
it 13 times at the movies, not bad for a 9-10 year old, and it was great.  All the
older people I knew thought it was just ok until ESB came out.  Then SW took off
because they saw there was a story hidden inside all the special effects.

So watch the film again and try to think back to when you were 8-12 years old, or
better yet find a group that age and watch it with them, and you will see the film
was made for them; just like ANH was made for us so many years before.

I'll hide under my soap-box now -)

-Will