 Star Wars / 5535
Re: Help for hard to find sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:08:57 GMT

Scott-A wrote:

Which is why all my auction listings give the source, and further,
credit Lugnet and suggest that people learn to use it. If all of the
folks who frequent this newsgroup and sold stuff on eBay did the same it
would cut into the scalpers a bit. (a lot of people who frequent this
newsgroup DO already... so partly it's that people don't actually read
the listings.

Time and time again I place FS postings on both LUGNet and RTL and get zero
buy +20% over my FS price. MAD!

Some of that is people who don't read the marketplace newsgroups.
Another part may be people who figure that anything that's posted in FS
is gone by the time they get there (this is a bad assumption to make,
about the first deal I participated in was announced on RTL. I found it
several weeks later, saw the wants list, and noticed "hey, I was looking
at that set the other day" and e-mailed the trader. He had not found
that set yet, and still had some Wolfpack sets, and a deal was made).

What would probably help is a searchable market place bulletin board,
where you can delete the items once they are sold.

Another perverse effect might be that people are wary of trading with
someone with no way to see a history, but then find the item on eBay,
with a decent feedback rating (in this light, some kind of rating system
would be nice tied to Lugnet memberships, but care must be taken in
setting up such a system). I tend to give a fair bit of trust to anyone
using Lugnet, and expecially people who have a long history here (I
figure if one of the regulars goes south, we'll hear about it).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com