 Star Wars / 5492
Re: Help for hard to find sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:29:28 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Andrew Burt writes:
I'm a new AFOL to lugnet.  I've been noticing the high prices that some people
are paying on auctions for brand new Star Wars sets.  Are there a lot of areas
where the sets are in short supply?  The local Wal-Mart & Zellers stores have • a
lot of Lego.  Demand is also low due to the low population base and the post
Christmas slowdown.

I haven't seen 8002 and the stores don't stock a lot of Technic, but I should
be able to find most of the 1999 & 2000 Star Wars sets.  Please e-mail me if I
can be of assistance.

Andrew,

Welcome to LUGNET.  It really is confusing as to why people will bid so much on
a set that you can just go out a get for less.  I don't think you are going to
find any of those people here on LUGNET though.  For the most part we are all
educated LEGO consumers and even help each other out in finding deals.  I have
2 theories as to to why some people pay so much for Star Wars sets on E-Bay.

1.  As you said people don't live in an area where LEGO is readily available.
I would not think this would be a problem in the US or most of Europe but there
are many contries where LEGO is hard to find and that might be why.

2.  Uneducated LEGO buyer's.  In my mind these are casual fans and probably
more fans of Star Wars (in this case) then they are fans of LEGO.  They may not
know what LEGO sells for retail or that the sets are readily available in
stores.

Most of it comes down to education for the Star Wars fan it is probably just a
case where they have not done their home work and for the fan in an area where
LEGO is not obtained easily they may feal that Ebay is their only hope.
Unfortunately for most of these types of fans if they knew about LUGNET there
are a lot of people here that would help them out to get the sets for retail
plus shipping charges.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/