 Star Wars / 5351
5350  |  5352
Subject:
Review - 8002 - Star Wars Destroyer Droid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 20:42:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi!  I thought I'd share my experience with the newest of the Star Wars sets.
I had a hard time finding one of these in San Jose, CA.  On Wednesday, I
tried  2 WalMarts & several TRU's but got lucky by asking a lady at a Target
if they had any in back since they were gone from the shelves.  She came out
with a case of them; I gave her a hug and made my $50 purchase.  Incidentally,
here's a hot deal: they were selling  the Droid Developer Kit at the Target in
Cupertino for $59.99!  Everywhere else is selling them for $99.99.

Anyway, I put together the Destroyer Droid last night.  I'm a good builder and
it took me about 4.5 hours.  There are tons of pieces (I'd guess between 500
and 600).  I was exhausted by the time I'd finished and my fingers were sore
from handling those tiny Technic pieces but it was worth it!

I have to say that I think this is the best looking of all the Star Wars sets
to date.  Once you put it together you won't want to take it apart for a long
time.  The Lego designers are extremely ingenious for making it so you can
roll it over and make it spring into battle action!

There are a few new pieces in the set and quite a few brown colored ones which
is nice.  Mine also included tons of extra rubber bands which was cool also.

The instructions were decent but not perfect by any means.  Even though mine
included an errata sheet, I found a couple of more errata that weren't covered.
One place early in the assembly called for the use of 4 rubber bands where I
could only fit two.  Later in the assembly when attaching some long thin brown
rubber tubing of 2 different lengths, I felt that the instructions had the
placements backwards.  The instructions include detail on how to make some
other objects out of the set (i.e. a plow) which I thought was nice.  Usually
they just give you pictures on the box.

As far as value goes, $50 was probably a little too much.  I would say $40
would have been more reasonable.

All in all, I'm ecstatic with the set and would rate it a 9.5 out of 10!