 Star Wars / 5373
Re: Review - 8002 - Star Wars Destroyer Droid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:21:59 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Keith Blumenthal writes:
Hi!  I thought I'd share my experience with the newest of the Star Wars sets.
I had a hard time finding one of these in San Jose, CA.  On Wednesday, I
tried  2 WalMarts & several TRU's but got lucky by asking a lady at a Target
if they had any in back since they were gone from the shelves.  She came out
with a case of them; I gave her a hug and made my $50 purchase.  Incidentally,
here's a hot deal: they were selling  the Droid Developer Kit at the Target in
Cupertino for $59.99!  Everywhere else is selling them for $99.99.

The instructions were decent but not perfect by any means.  Even though mine
included an errata sheet, I found a couple of more errata that weren't • covered.
One place early in the assembly called for the use of 4 rubber bands where I
could only fit two.

I was able to fit all four with little to no problem.  They need to be wrapped
very closely.

Later in the assembly when attaching some long thin brown
rubber tubing of 2 different lengths, I felt that the instructions had the
placements backwards.

I thought this too, until I folded up the guns.  If you switch them, then the
tube to the gun has a tendency to pop out when you fold the gun up, unless you
twist the element the tube goes into.  The instructions were correct on this
one.

The instructions include detail on how to make some
other objects out of the set (i.e. a plow) which I thought was nice.

The plow you are referring to is actually the ATT from Episode 1.  I guess it
does look like a plow.

I think 50 is just fine for a model with over 500 pieces, albeit small ones.

The main problem I had with the model was that the head was trying to pop
off.  When it rolls on the floor, it has a tendency to put alot of pressure on
the curved neck part which tries to push the head off.  Its held in place by a
single technic piece(grey 3x long technic shaft with a flange on one end).  I
found that if this pulls out even the slightest bit, the head would not pop up
when it gets pushed against the center arm hinges.  The fix for this was an
additional rubberband.  The flanged piece goes through a small brown technic
part.  Wrapping a rubberband around that part and then around the grey part
hanging underneath the end of the long curved brown section near the head
solved this problem perfectly.  It doesn't interfere at all.  I also double
rubberbanded the center arm hinges.

I found only two other errors in the manual.  One was during a subassembly
they give you a pile of parts to find and one of them is the wrong color.  Its
shown in dark grey when it is really light grey(Its just a technic pin).  The
other error I found was the placement of a rubberband was screwed on the
center arm hinges in a couple subassembly pictures.  If you put a rubberband
on the bottom where it shows it sometimes during subassembly, the head will
get caught on it in the final assembly.

Jason F.