 Star Wars / 5440
Re: Technic Building Modules (was, Re: Review - 8002 - Star Wars Destroyer Droid)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:33:26 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn <ssanburn@cleanweb.net> wrote in message
Jonathan Little wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Jamie Hickey writes:

I am not one for the modular design, so took all the bags and dumped • them
all in to a tray!

I have to agree with Jamie about the building modules (the seperating of • the
parts into different seperately built sections). I feel that part of the • fun
of building with Lego bricks is finding the piece, whether you're • building
from instructions or working on a MOC. These modules are good for those
people who want to speed up their building and hate searching for • pieces,
but I like the search. I liked the fact that it took me a couple of • nights
(only working for an hour or so each night)  to build the Space Shuttle
(8480) and the black super car (8880). It sort of made it worthwhile to
spend that sort of money on the two sets. I had the red super car (8448)
finished in a few hours. Anyway . . . enough rambling. What I'd like to • know
is what people think about this modular design that seems to be apparent • in
newer technic sets?

Well, I like the Modular design, simply because it is easier to build
the sets. I sort
out all the parts now, whenever I build the set:

For example:

http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/building.html

Searching for parts drives me nuts. I guess I spent too many years
building large models, trying to find parts, getting frustrated. :)

Scott S.

Trying to find parts is not a problem even while building old style sets (I
mean not having separate sub assemblies). Just don't make a common pile of
all the parts from all the bags. Don't mix the bag contents, so it's not a
bit problem since bag contents are generally very nicely arranged.

I think more important thing about sub assemblies is, they enable the
builder learn the specific functions of the mentioned sub system without
losing in whole, so more nicely. The only technic set having sub assemblies
that I built is 8448(1). Although completing a set with 1400+ parts in only
4-4.5 hours is very new to me (and a little bit unsatisfactory from building
joy point of view), it's much more understandable from "what is the function
of this thingy?" or "how does this thing work?" point of view.

Selçuk

(1) It was kind of FOTY for me, no, not the set itself, but learning that
TRUs here in Turkey accepts AdvantageCard, which enables the buyer pay for
the total in parts (I mean buy it, and pay it for 5 months, as 5 equal
parts, with 0% interest). I can't imagine having a 8448 in these days,
especially thinking that I bought a similarly priced set ,8480, recently (It
took more than a year for my wife to allow me to buy such a pricey set..:-)