 Star Wars / 4691
Re: Two minifigs side-by-side in 6 studs (was: MF Challenge!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:30:22 GMT

Jeff Christner wrote:

The first encounter I had with such a vehicle was several years ago at
the following URL:

http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~erikred/brick/town/landrover.html

I'm not sure if the minifigs sat fully inside the vehicle, but one of
the minifigs has their arms raised quite high which leads me to
believe that their arms don't fully clear the doors. Perhaps they are
actually sitting in chairs.

I placed my first six wide design with two figure side by side
seating, without arms hanging out on the internet on 8/3/98, the
vehicle was the Sixby Rescue. While my design dosen't use chairs, or
even studs for them to attach to, the minifigs are still rather secure
while seated. Probably the most revelant creation I've made is at the
following URL:

http://members.aol.com/regult/abrush.html

I've got a dat file on my site, although it isn't linked to by any
page. It shows a similar truck that shows exactly how this is done.
The direct dat file URL is this:

http://members.aol.com/regult/mini.dat

Once the MF comes out, I'll look foward to seeing how people have
solved this problem.

Well, I've prototyped one possible solution, but I haven't actually
incorporated my protoype into a working model yet.  I'm still not
LDraw-equipped because I surf from work on a Mac, so please bear with my
verbal description.

Begin in a 6-wide space.  Across studs one and two, place a 1 x 2 plate with
top center stud.  Repeat across studs three and four, then five and six.
Proceed to the next row.  Continue placing offset plates across as many rows
as needed.  On top of the offset studs, construct a five-stud wide platform.
Since TLG doesn't manufacture 5 x N plates, you have to make this platform out
of 2 x 3 and 2 X N plates.  And if you want this platform to have any strength
at all, you must build the platform two plates deep and stagger the plates.

On top of this platform, it is possible to use two minifig chair pieces.  The
minifigs are separated by the distance of a single stud in the center.  If you
have brick walls immediately to the sides of the six-wide space, the minifigs'
arms do not touch the walls.

This will work for a space vechicle, which has solid walls, but it would look
to clunky for a car -- the walls would go out ot .  I would like to try this
again with thin walls that attach at stud positions one and six, to see
whether the arms still clear the edges.

Followups set to lugnet.build.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.