 Star Wars / 3531
Re: Holobrick vs Real McCoy (was Re: star destroyer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:12:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> writes:

John Neal wrote:
consider this:  Would it be less satisfying to play with Lego in the
Holodeck than in real life?  Is there something to actually possessing
the material brick?  [...]

[...]
Personally, I would get a huge kick from holodeck Legos, since I wouldn't
have to spend money on the pieces (instead I'd have to subsidise the huge
cost of the holodeck), and I could choose any user interface I want, from
"Brick-O-Rama Tactile GUI v2.5" to "Space God Point-N-Click".  Plus, the Web
pages would be staggeringly awesome.  You wanna see my new dropship model?
From the inside?  During a stormy descent over Saturn?  With Mynoks?  :-,

Man, that would be great!!!  You could build any set even if you didn't have
all the pieces you need, because the holodeck could create any pieces that
you're missing!

Wanna play with the original yellow castle for a while?  "Computer: Load
LEGO set number three seven five.  Run program."

Need more 2x4 bricks?  "Computer:  two million 2x4 bricks, red and black.
And tea, Earl Gray, hot."

Man, but what I'd really wanna use the holodeck for would be to play inside
a LEGO model after it was built! -- to exist at the scale of a minifig.  You
can't shrink yourself, but you could ask the holodeck to make the pieces
gigantic.  :)   "Computer:  increase model scale five thousand percent."
And the pieces would *be* that big!  "Yeah man! let's drop down through the
atmosphere of Saturn and go Mynok hunting!!!  Reeeooowwwww!  Blap, blap,
blappppp!  Fizzoooooo!"

--Todd

[This is off-topic for .starwars; setting followups to .general]