 Star Wars / 2968
Re: Question about 7101
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:26:51 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Alan G. Carmack wrote:

I thought "Oh, that explains the spigots (faucets)."  But then I ask Why are
they in the middle of the MV and not at the bottom.  Must have a pump in it
rather than just work on gravity pressure.  I assume the planet they are on
has some gravity.

  I figured it was a drip-unit, and that the "ladders" are representations of
the coils where atmospheric gas is cooled to form condensation, which
  then drips into a tank.  The faucets are at the top of the tank, to keep • from
  having joints at the bottom that might leak.  Also, I figure they'd be • filling
  some hefty containers, so it's best to have the spigot too high than too
low.

I figured the short ladders were coils to collect moisture.  I can;t recall
seeing those cute ladder pieces before.  But again, if the spigot is at the
top, wouldn't it need to have a pressurized release system, since the water in
the tank would not go uphill on its own?  That's why the spigot should be at
bottom, so gravity can release it w/o additional power.  Unless it had some
sort of steady-stasis "syphon" system?

  That's the British for you--but notice, we say "tap water," not "faucet
water."  I think that saying "spigot" in polite society might not go over
  really well in Britain.  ;)

  But since I'll be there in three weeks, I'll give it a go--if it doesn't • work
  they can just chalk it up to "another American yahoo."

While you are there, ask them why they keep their washing machine in the
kitchen.  Of course, they probably don't call it washing machine.  I am
talking about a clothes washer, btw.  While the dryer is somewhere else in the
flat or house.