 Star Wars / 3068
Re: Question about 7101
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:18:50 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote:

   I think a Pod Race on the moon would be really boring, since turbojets   don't
work really well without an atmosphere.  Well, OK, the moon does
   have an atmosphere, but it's got a pressure of about 0.2mm Hg (Sea level
   Terran average is 1013mm Hg) and it's sodium, not exactly good for it.

snip

Terran = Earth , The number is right, but the unit is wrong. On average pressure is
closer 1 atm (atmosphere), 760 mmHg, 760 Torr, 101.3 kPa (kilopascal), 1.013 Bar, or
1013 mBar (milibar).

   OK.  For some reason, I grafted mmHg onto the milibar rating.  That's what I get for
forsaking chemistry and going to grad school for something else...;)  Now I'm not sure
if the lunar "pressure" (if it can be called that) is in mBar or mmHg.

PS Sodium atmosphere on the moon; I didn't know that.

   I thought it was pretty funky myself.  Apparently it's so tenuous that it took limb
spectroscopy to detect it--the instruments sent to the surface weren't adequate.  (It's
sort of like Mercury's atmosphere in that it's totally trivial and "gas" in name only.)

   LFB.