 Star Wars / 2937
Re: Question about 7101
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:34:36 GMT

Alan G. Carmack wrote:

I thought "Oh, that explains the spigots (faucets)."  But then I ask Why are
they in the middle of the MV and not at the bottom.  Must have a pump in it
rather than just work on gravity pressure.  I assume the planet they are on
has some gravity.

   I figured it was a drip-unit, and that the "ladders" are representations of
the coils where atmospheric gas is cooled to form condensation, which
   then drips into a tank.  The faucets are at the top of the tank, to keep from
   having joints at the bottom that might leak.  Also, I figure they'd be filling
   some hefty containers, so it's best to have the spigot too high than too low.

   Having seen the movie, and having seen precisely that vaporator in it, I can
   tell you that the one in 7101 is a little too big.  The vaporator would probably

   be a brick or so shorter--thus putting those faucets at about chest level for
   an adult.

   Here's a related question, though:  Why are all the vaporators engineered
   for human ergonomics?  I can't imagine Sebulba (if he needs water) is too
   keen on spigots at 1.3m.  And how the heck do they have frogs on Tattooine?
   (See the market scene, you'll see what I mean.  Imports?)

It seems every planet in SW has earth-like gravity?  Wonder
what a Pod Race would be like on the Moon, w/ 1/6 of our gravity, or would
gravity make a difference for pod racing?  Or for thrust, maneuverability (or
"manoeuvrability" in UK).

   I think a Pod Race on the moon would be really boring, since turbojets   don't
work really well without an atmosphere.  Well, OK, the moon does
   have an atmosphere, but it's got a pressure of about 0.2mm Hg (Sea level
   Terran average is 1013mm Hg) and it's sodium, not exactly good for it.
   I think that for a planet to maintain an atmosphere *and* be of the age
   where an oxygen-nitrogen mix would develop, it would have to be Earth-
   sized or larger.  As for why all the SW planets have Terran gravity, well,
   humans have to live there, right?  :)  I think Bespin, as a gas giant, is an
   obvious exception to this rule--Cloud City uses repulsorlifts and stays at
   a level where gravity is ~1G.

BTW--My Oxford dictionary says that "faucet" is used in Britain only in
special circumstances, and gives "tap" as the usual word.  But I rarely say
"tap" but usually say "faucet", and sometimes "spigot" but not in polite
society.  :-)

   That's the British for you--but notice, we say "tap water," not "faucet
water."  I think that saying "spigot" in polite society might not go over
   really well in Britain.  ;)

   But since I'll be there in three weeks, I'll give it a go--if it doesn't work
   they can just chalk it up to "another American yahoo."

   LFB.